Everything MBA – News, Advice, Insights

Student Insights: Hart brings MBA skill set to nonprofit work

• MBA Alvernia

We surveyed our MBA students to learn where they are in their career and asked what advice they have for those considering earning an MBA. We’ll share their thoughts periodically on this blog to help you decide if you should enroll in an MBA program. Here are a few insights from MBA student Christa Hart, a Nonprofit Administrator at Experience Works Inc. in Shamokin, Pa.

MBA students and graduates walk on many different career paths, proving the versatility of the degree. Nonprofit organizations recognize the valuable competencies MBA graduates bring to their organizations. Many Alvernia students find their MBA skills translate well in the nonprofit sector, where they can apply their financial and organizational know-how to meet altruistic goals. Christa is one such student. She is applying her MBA education to her work at Experience Works, a community-based organization that helps low-income senior citizens with multiple barriers to employment get the training they need to find jobs.

Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I feel that it will open a broader range of opportunities for me.

Do you have an example of a time when you were able to apply something you’d learned in class to your current position?

Yes, actually many, but especially from the Quantitative Methods class. I have used different methods to analyze performance of our grant [at work].

What is an important skill that every business professional should possess, no matter what stage in his or her career?

The most important is definitely the ability to problem solve or critical thinking.

What are the major differences between the undergraduate and graduate college experiences?

In a graduate class, students are more independent, responsible for their own work and the work relates more to what you can do every day in business. I was in a class where my final was similar to a video lecture given by our instructors. It was a great experience.

What are the challenges and the benefits of studying for an MBA?

My challenges are working full time, having a family and taking classes. I feel being a student at Alvernia is an advantage. The instructors are always willing to help if you have any bumps in the road.

How does an MBA education help nonprofit administrators?

I have taken all of the information I learned back to my organization and implemented new policies and procedures, while becoming a knowledgeable and more efficient administrator for my organization and my staff. Everything learned in the MBA program can be taken back to your work environment and used as a tool.