Everything MBA – News, Advice, Insights

Student Insights: Kramer applies MBA classroom knowledge in the workplace

• MBA Alvernia

We recently surveyed our MBA students to learn where they are in their career and asked what advice they have for those considering earning an MBA. We’ll share their thoughts periodically on this blog to help you decide if you should enroll in an MBA program. Here are a few insights from Melanie Kramer, a Human Resources Coordinator at The Hershey Company in Hershey, PA.

Melanie balances her studies as a MBA student at Alvernia with her career at The Hershey Company. Both roles broaden her experiences. “My benefits are applying what I’m learning in class at work and vice-versa , which is a beneficial learning tool for me as well,” she says. She also earned her bachelor’s degrees in business management and human resource management at Alvernia.

What are the major differences between the undergraduate and graduate college experiences?

The undergraduate experience in the classroom did not always have as much class discussion, but more lecture material. Many of my graduate classes are discussion-led and the students can direct the class a little more towards what they want to get out of it. Most graduate students are also working or have work experience so they can share experiences which gives the class a different type of atmosphere.

Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I decided to pursue an MBA because I want to continue learning and increase opportunities for my future career path.

Do you have an example you can share of a time when you were able to apply something you’d learned in class to your current position?

Business, labor and employment laws are very important to be familiar with when working in my field of human resources. Those classes contain a lot of information that is continuously used in my position.

What advice would you give to someone in your field who is considering getting an MBA?

I would advise to start taking classes earlier rather than later in your career. Having at least some experience though is beneficial for class discussions and immediate application of material in the workplace.

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

My coworkers and managers have been very supportive of continuing my education and helping me define a career path. I hope everyone working and completing their master’s degree at the same time experiences this type of support and encouragement within their work environment.