Everything MBA – News, Advice, Insights

Student Insights: MBA student Breininger prefers a local school with online classes

• MBA Alvernia

We recently surveyed our MBA students to learn where they are in their career and asked what advice they have for those considering earning an MBA. We’ll share their thoughts periodically on this blog to help you decide if you should enroll in an MBA program.

Here are a few insights from Kristen Breininger, a marketing and communications specialist at APCI Federal Credit Union/Air Products in Allentown, PA.

kristen breininger, online mba student

Kristen earned a B.S. in speech communications, public relations with a business marketing minor from Millersville University. She feels a lot has changed since then and she decided she needed to stay current in this ever-changing business world. Since Kristen works full time and has a young son, attending classes on campus was rather problematic. Luckily, she discovered the online MBA program at Alvernia.

Why did you choose the MBA program at Alvernia?

I loved the idea of selecting a local school but wanted the option to complete the courses 100% online. It is still nice to attend a local university and have the resources available if needed or the option to take a class in person. I also liked that the program was accelerated and that I can complete the classes in just over two years.

Why did you return for your MBA at this point in your life?

Both my family and my employer were very supportive of me coming back to school, which made all the difference in deciding to continue my education. Air Products offers an educational assistance program that I am very grateful for.

What advice would you give someone in your field considering getting an MBA?

I would recommend that anyone take that step to continue his or her education. It is a huge time commitment but it also has great benefits both personally and professionally.

Do you have an example of when you were able to apply something you’d learned in class to your present position?

I find myself applying what I learned in my first class (Corporate Communications) daily. I was a communications major in my undergrad but the refresher was helpful! It has helped me make better communication decisions.

What’s the hardest part of earning your MBA?

The daily balance is the hardest part of the program. I am currently taking classes online which has been a whole new way of learning for me.