Everything MBA – News, Advice, Insights

An Admissions Professional Gives Advice to Prospective MBA Students

• MBA Alvernia

Kelly Burr, M.Ed., the coordinator of graduate admissions and student services, has been working in the admissions field for 11 years. She loves working with all types of students and believes the most important part of working in an admissions office is giving personal attention to students. She’s one of the first people a prospective MBA student meets so we thought she’d be a great person to share some insights.

1. What is the most common concern prospective students have before they enroll in the MBA program?

An MBA is valuable across all industries so it’s natural that a lot of students who are considering going back to school for their MBA have an undergraduate degree in something other than business. In fact, about half of the students who enroll in the MBA program have an undergraduate degree in a field other than business. I let students know that Alvernia’s MBA program has 3 leveling courses for students who have not had business classes within their undergraduate studies.  These courses are:

MBA 502- Accounting for the Workplace

MBA 504- Management and Marketing

MBA 506- Economics and Finance

Once they take these three classes, they have the skills and the confidence to dive into the other courses.

2. What advice do you have for someone thinking about graduate school but worried about working fulltime while attending school?

Many prospective students have this concern so I share my personal experience.  I was working full time when I earned my M.Ed., had a baby at home and another on the way.  I can relate to the sacrifices a student will need to make while in graduate school however I also talk about how my degree has benefited me and what I have been able to do since earning my degree. I let students know that the key to success is staying organized and keeping on top of assignments.

3. Can prospective students meet with a professor before they enroll?

It is not uncommon for a student to schedule an appointment to come to campus to learn a little more about our programs. One of our faculty members, Dr. Beth Berret attends our monthly information sessions and prospective students can schedule an individual appointment with her. Dr. Berret and I are in constant communication about the MBA admissions process and any updates that are made within the MBA program. She makes herself available to answer questions.