Everything MBA – News, Advice, Insights

MBA spotlight: Danks Calls MBA Degree Best Decision She Ever Made

• MBA Alvernia

It’s a far too common scenario; a student runs out of money and drops out of college. The plan is to work for a year or two, save money for tuition, then finish school.

Unfortunately, life rarely goes as planned.

sharon danks mba alum Sharon Danks (B.S 2003 MBA 2004) was one year shy of completing her degree when she left college. Twenty years later, she finally went back to school but she didn’t stop at simply completing her undergraduate degree at Alvernia, she went on to earn her MBA.

As Sharon explains, “after I got into the groove of school and work, I decided to continue pursuing my Master’s before I ran out of steam. It was the best decision I could have made. Before I knew it, I finished with a bachelor’s in psychology and organizational behavior, and an MBA with an emphasis in marketing and communications.”

Sharon, now a principal and vice president of the research and consulting firm Tweed-Weber, Inc., says her degrees enhances the work she does at Tweed-Weber since she uses a high level of strategic thinking on a daily basis.

“What I learned during my MBA education helped me to become better at delivering the consulting services we offer,” says Sharon.

She joined Tweed-Weber in the early 1990s. Early on, she learned that Al Weber, the president of Tweed-Weber, believed strongly in the corporate responsibility of community service, and, because of that, the company encourages and supports employees giving back to the community.

Sharon has served the United Way of Berks County for the past 12 years. “The United Way talks all the time about how important and meaningful it is to “Live United.” It’s so true. And would we want to live in a community that operated in any other way? We need to be there for each other because that’s what makes a stronger community from which we all benefit,” says Sharon.

She also worked with Alvernia’s Board of Trustees and led Alvernia’s Alumni Council and Institutional Advancement Staff in a strategic planning process. Because of these volunteer efforts, she was recently honored with the Ellen Frei Gruber award.

Sharon names Mary Ellen Wells, Scott Ballantyne and Tufan Tiglioglu as a few of her favorite professors in Alvernia’s MBA program. She adds that, “not only do these professors know their stuff, but they know how to teach it. I appreciated their excellent teaching skills as much as their depth of knowledge and experience.”

What does she say to someone thinking about enrolling in an MBA program?

“Think of Nike: Just do it! Once I made the decision to do it, everything fell into place, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I now have an MBA and can check that off my bucket list.”